Want To Increase Your Va Rating We Can Help
- VA Claims Insider is the #1 most trusted name in VA disability claims.
- 20,000+ disabled veterans served in our membership programs since 2016.
- 30% average VA rating increase for veterans who complete our #1 rated Elite program.
- Employs 144 teammates comprised of 44 veterans and 12 military spouses.
- Better Business Bureau accredited.
- 4.7/5.0 average rating out of 3,500+ total reviews over 2,000 5-star reviews.
I Am A Disabled Veteran Am I Entitled To Any Property Tax Deductions
You may qualify for a property tax deduction if you are either:
You must be a Texas resident and must provide documentation from the Veterans Administration reflecting the percentage of your service-connected disability. Your disability rating must be at least 10%. To file please follow this link and complete the Disabled Veterans or Survivors Exemption application.
If your disability rating is 100% you may qualify for a 100% Disable Veterans Homestead Exemption. This property must be your principal residence and you may not claim homestead on another property. You can apply for the 100% Disabled Veterans Homestead Exemption by following this link and completing the Homestead application.
We Wouldnt Miss Your Retirement Party
When most people think of Social Security, they think of retirement benefits with good reason. But we are more than retirement benefits we offer many online tools to help you plan for your future.
to verify your earnings and see an estimate of future benefits throughout your career and into retirement.
With a mySocial Security account, you can estimate your future benefits at different ages when you may want to start receiving benefits.
Recommended Reading: Inclusion Of Students With Disabilities
Disabled Veteran Benefits Travel Pay Reimbursement
VA Travel Pay Reimbursement is for regular transportation, such as, car or POV, plane, train, bus, taxi, or light rail. You may be eligible for this reimbursement if youre traveling for care at a VA health facility or for VA-approved care at a facility in your community, and at least one of the below descriptions is true for you. In 2022, the current VA travel pay reimbursement rate is 41.5 cents per mile for approved, health-related travel.
Are There State Benefits Available
There are multiple state benefits available to 100 percent disabled veterans. Each state has its own set of benefits and can range from health care benefits, hunting and fishing license exemptions, free passes to state parks and property tax exemption. You can also be eligible for specialized license plates.
For more specific information on the benefits available in your state and enrollment details, please click here.
Read Also: 90 Percent Va Disability How To Get 100
Mental Health Program For Veterans
The Health and Human Services Commission operates the mental health intervention program for veterans that include:
- peer-to-peer counseling
- access to licensed mental health professionals for peer service coordinators and peers
- training approved by the department for peer service coordinators, licensed mental health professionals, and peers
- technical assistance for peer service coordinators, licensed mental health professionals, and peers
- suicide prevention training for peer service coordinators and peers
- veteran jail diversion services, including veterans treatment courts and
- coordination of mental health first aid for veterans training to veterans and immediate family members of veterans.
Hazelwood Act Application Process
In order to receive Hazelwood funds, a veteran must first:
- get accepted by a public university or college in Texas. Visit Apply Texas for application information.
- obtain your DD-214 to prove your military service and type of discharge, and
- call the VA office at 442-4551 to ask for a letter showing whether or not you are eligible for GI Bill benefits through the Montgomery or Post-9/11 bill.
After you have completed the above steps, complete the Hazelwood application form and submit it along with your education benefits letter from the VA and your DD-214 to the financial aid office of the school you have been accepted to. Your financial aid office will let you know whether your application for Hazelwood benefits has been accepted. The office may send you an email or a letter, or simply put funds into your school account.
Read Also: Disabled Veteran Benefits In Texas
Jobs For Disabled Veterans Provided By Hireveteranscom
HireVeterans is the Worlds #1 Most Trusted Marketplace to Search and Find Top Jobs for Veterans. HireVeterans.com is a FREE job board and placement service into top civilian companies looking to hire veterans, disabled veterans, and military spouses. Disclaimer: VA Claims Insider, LLC owns and operates HireVeterans.com. Click HERE to search and find jobs for veterans at top civilian companies.
Texas Property Tax Exemption For Veterans
Disabled veterans, and surviving spouses and dependent children of service members who died while on active duty, are eligible for state property tax exemptions. A disabled veteran must have a service-connected disability rated at least 10% to be eligible for this exemption. Disabled veterans receive exemptions based on their percentage of disability. 100% disabled veterans receive a waiver of all property taxes.
Surviving spouses and dependent children can get a $5,000 property tax exemption.
Apply for the property tax exemption using Form 50-135 and submit it to your County Appraisal Office.
Don’t Miss: Benefits For 100 Disabled Veterans In Texas
Discuss Your Benefits As A Veteran In Texas With Experienced Va Claims Attorneys
Our firm works with Veterans in Texas and across the United States. While the national nature of our work means we are not experts on each stateâs veterans benefits, we are experts on the subject of VA disability benefits claims and appeals. Contact us today for a free screening of your VA disability benefits appeals.
Other Texas Disabled Veteran Benefits Discounts And Free Services
Texas Disabled Veteran Benefits Discounts
With the generous donationsof for-profit entities as well as various non-profit organizations, Texasoffers Disabled Veterans a ton of discounts and free services.
For a complete list ofdiscounts and free offerings for Texas Disabled Veterans, please
List of Texas Disabled Veteran Benefits Discounts and Free Services
- The Folds of Honor Foundation has two types of scholarship programs for Texas DisabledVeterans: The ChildrensFund Scholarship serves the dependents of disabled veterans rated at90% or higher, in Kindergarten through 12th grade and TheHigher Education Scholarship the dependents of disabled veterans ratedat 10% or higher for those seeking a first bachelors degree or a certificationat a post-secondary institution. Both types of the Folds of Honor scholarshipsare based on unmet need as determined by documentation submitted by theawardee and can be valued up to $5,000. VA Claims Insider is a 1-StarFriends of the Folds partner to enable these incredible scholarship programsfor the dependents of Disabled Veterans.
- Freedom Hunters offers Texas Disabled Veterans outdoor adventuresand hunting for military, veterans and their families.
- The VeteranTickets Foundation teams up with major sports teams, leagues,promoters, organizations, venues and ticket holders to provide free tickets tothe more than 21 million military and veterans, including Disabled Veterans inTexas.
Don’t Miss: My Personal Facebook Account Is Disabled
Education Benefits For Veterans In Texas
Eligible veterans may apply for VA education benefits in Texas under the federal GI bill and its variants or under the states Hazlewood Act.
The post 911 GI bill can help veterans pay for most or all of their educational costs. Under the Hazlewood Act, veterans education benefits include up to 150 hours of tuition exemption at public institutions throughout the state.
These scholarships for veterans are available to eligible military members and their dependent children and spouses. To apply for these benefits, students must complete a Texas Hazlewood Act Exemption Application and submit it to the college or university they wish to attend.
Other educational benefits include the following:
- The Fry Scholarship
Note: To learn more about these educational benefits, call 1-800-252-8387.
Information For Persons Forming A Veteran
Effective January 1, 2022, you may again form a “new veteran-owned business” as defined by Senate Bill 938 . A new veteran-owned business is not subject to certain filing fees and the Texas franchise tax until the earlier of the fifth anniversary of the entity’s existence or the date the business ceases to qualify as a new veteran-owned business.
Don’t Miss: Short Term Disability For Mental Health
Va Disability Compensation Pay
One of the best disabled veteran benefits available is VA disability compensation pay. If you have a disability condition that was caused or made worse by your active-duty military service, you may be eligible to receive tax-free monthly compensation. Veterans can prepare and file their own VA disability compensation claim for FREE by opening a Notice of Intent to File on the VA.gov website for a VA disability increase or first-time filer.An Intent to File puts the VA on notice that youre planning to file a VA claim, which is important because it sets an effective date for when you could start getting benefits while you prepare your disability claim and gather supporting documents . Click HERE to view the 2022 VA disability compensation pay rates.
Free State Education Benefits For 100 Percent Disabled Veterans
Some states offer FREE college benefits to some veterans and the dependents of 100% disabled veterans. In Texas for example, the Hazelwood Act provides veterans, spouses, and dependent children with up to 150 hours of tuition free college at state schools. In the state of Florida, the Congressman C.W. Bill Young Tuition Waiver Program waives out-of-state tuition fees for all honorably discharged veterans who reside in the state and who are enrolled in Florida public, post-secondary institutions. Florida also provides scholarship opportunities for dependent children and spouses of veterans who died from a service-connected disability or who are rated 100% permanently and totally disabled by the VA. Click HERE to see if your state offers free education for disabled veterans.
Recommended Reading: Short Term Disability Pregnancy Pre Existing Condition
Concurrent Receipt Of Va Disability Pay And Military Retirement Pay
The Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay program allows military retirees to receive BOTH military retired pay and VA disability compensation. Generally, you must be a regular military retiree with a combined VA disability rating of 50% or higher to qualify for CRDP. Click HERE to learn more DFASs CRDP program for military retirees with a VA disability rating.
Texas Veteran Employment Benefits
Wartime veterans have preference in employment with state agencies or offices, as do widows and children of those killed on active duty. State agencies must practice veterans preference until they have reached 40% veteran employment.
Military Time Credit Towards State Retirement
Non-retired veterans who are state employees can claim their active-duty military time toward retirement by making a payment equal to the monthly contribution an employee would make times the number of months active duty. The maximum anyone can buy is 60 months.
Veteran Entrepreneur Program
Visit the following website for more information:
The Veteran Entrepreneur Program provides veteran entrepreneurs and veteran small businesses the tools they need to start or grow their businesses. The program provides consultation with business plans, financing, marketing and more.
Read Also: How To Get Short Term Disability Approved
What Assistance Can Veterans Get With Va Benefits
The Texas Veterans Commission informs members and veterans of the armed forces, their families and dependents, and military and civilian authorities about the existence or availability of:
- educational training and retraining facilities
- health, medical, rehabilitation, and housing services and facilities
- employment and reemployment services
- provisions of federal, state, and local law affording rights, privileges, and benefits to members and veterans of the armed forces and their families and dependents and
- other similar, related, or appropriate matters
- assists veterans and their families and dependents in presenting, proving, and establishing claims, privileges, rights, and benefits they may have under federal, state, or local law
- cooperates with all government and private agencies securing services or benefits to veterans and their families and dependents
- investigates, and if possible corrects, abuses or exploitation of veterans or their families or dependents, and recommends necessary legislation for full correction
- coordinates the services and activities of state departments and divisions having services and resources affecting veterans or their families or dependents
- with the assistance and cooperation of the comptroller, inform and assist veterans and their families and dependents with respect to discovering and initiating claims for unclaimed property held by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs
Want More 100% Disabled Veterans Benefits By State
These are just a few 100% disabled veteran benefits by state, with many states offering excellent benefits to support those who served our nation. When looking for 100% disabled veteran benefits by state, check for tax benefits, employment opportunities, emergency assistance, military communities, education funding, medical care, and business support.
For more information specifically on states with property tax exemptions, see our post on Property Tax Exemptions for 100% disabled veterans.
Recommended Reading: Signs That You Lost Your Disability Hearing
Hunting And Fishing Licsense
Texas Veterans with a 50% or greater disability rating, or who suffered the loss of a foot or leg as the result of their military service, can get a free “Super Combo” Hunting and All-Water Fishing Package. This benefit is available to Veterans living in Texas and those from other states who want to participate in these recreational activities in Texas as well.
Texas Veteran Spouse Exemption
What if youre the surviving spouse of a veteran who was fatally wounded during their service? According to the Texas tax code, surviving spouses of U.S. armed services personnel fatally injured while in the line of duty qualify for a full property tax exemption. However, this only remains in effect as long as the surviving spouse continues to live on the same property and remains unmarried. Unmarried spouses may be able to transfer the dollar amount of their exemption to a new property, but it might not be a total exemption.
Another portion of the Texas tax code promises that the surviving spouses of U.S. armed forces members who die while actively serving can also qualify for a specific exemption of $5,000. This exemption is limited to a specific amount but can be applied to any property owned by the surviving spouse, not just the property on which they live.
Also Check: Ohio Department Of Developmental Disability
Information For Persons Who Formed A Veteran
Veterans who formed a business entity on or after January 1, 2020 through December 31, 2021, do not qualify for the exemptions provided to a new veteran-owned business as defined by either Senate Bill 938, discussed above, or Senate Bill 1049 , discussed below. Senate Bill 938 applies only to a veteran-owned business formed on or after January 1, 2022 and before January 1, 2026. Senate Bill 1049 only applied to a veteran-owned business formed on or after January 1, 2016 and before January 1, 2020.
Home And Land Loan Programs
The Texas Veterans Land Board provides low-interest loans to Veterans and Military Members in Texas.
- Land Loans: The VLB gives Texas Veterans and Military Members the opportunity to borrow money to purchase land at favorable interest rates and terms while only requiring a minimum 5% down payment.
- Home Loans: In 1983, the Legislature created the VLB Veterans Housing Assistance Program to assist Texas Veterans and Military Members in purchasing a home. Through this program, eligible Texas Veterans and Military Members have an opportunity to purchase a home with an unbeatable, low-interest loan.
- Home Improvement Loans: As part of its commitment to Veterans, the VLB can help a Veteran or Military Member buy a home, then help pay to improve it through the Texas Veterans Home Improvement Program . This program was introduced in 1986 to provide below-market interest rate loans to qualified Texas Veterans and Military Members for home repairs and improvements to their existing homes.
- SCRA Assistance: Reservists and National Guard troops with a VLB Land, Home or Home Improvement Loan may be able to defer interest payments when called up for active duty, thanks to the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act .
Also Check: Bath Chair For Disabled Adults
Help From The Texas Veterans Commission
This state agency offers many services for veterans. Their employment help for vets includes one-on-one job coaching, interview skills, and resume development according to the official site. The site includes news and application information for the Hazelwood Act, which offers 150 hours of tuition waivers for public colleges and universities in Texas.
There are indirect benefits, too. The Texas Veterans Commission offers general assistance grants to agencies dedicated to helping veterans. Similar grants are available to approved agencies for mental health, treatment court grants, and the Housing For Texas Heroes program.
Direct Hire Authority For Federal Jobs
A Direct-Hire Authority is an appointing authority that the Office of Personnel Management can give to Federal agencies for filling vacancies when a critical hiring need or severe shortage of candidates exists. While Veterans preference does NOT apply when selecting individuals under DHA, in our experience, transitioning military members, veterans, and disabled veterans are often well trained and suited for Federal positions. Some Federal Agencies also offer Expedited Hiring Authority for critically manned career fields, such as Defense Federal Acquisition positions.
Don’t Miss: Va Disability Percentages For Conditions
Home Loans For Texas Veterans
The Texas Veterans Land Board offers three different loan programs for veterans:
- Land Loan Program, offering long-term loans at a low interest rate for the purchase of land
- Veterans Housing Assistance Purchase Program, to help veterans buy homes, and
- Veterans Home Improvement Loan Program, providing low-interest loans to help veterans make changes to their homes, including those that may be needed due to disability.
For more information about these loans, visit the Veterans Land Board website.