Where To Report Changes Or Provide Requested Information:
You may report changes to SSA by calling 1-800-772-1213 or by visiting your local SSA office in person.
You may report changes to SSP by calling toll free at 1-855-488-0541 OR by fax at: 518-486-3459 OR by email at: OR by regular mail at:
NYS OTDA PO Box 1740 Albany, NY 12201
NOTE: If you receive Social Security Retirement, Survivorâs, or Disability payments and also receive SSP benefits, SSA does not share your federal benefit information or any changes, including address or living arrangement, with SSP and you must report changes directly to SSP.
How Do I Apply For A Temporary Social Security Card
Requesting a replacement card online is the fastest way to get your new card however, if you need a temporary Social Security card, then you will need to head down to your local SSA office. While they will not technically issue a temporary card, they will give you a receipt showing that your new card has been requested. This receipt can act as a sort of temporary card in some cases.
How To Get Help
- The best way for people with access to the internet to get help from Social Security is online at ssa.gov.
- If you cannot use our website, call our or your local Social Security office for help. For quicker access to a representative at our National 800 Number, try calling early in the day or later in the afternoon . We are also less busy later in the week and later in the month.
- If we are unable to help when you call our 800 number or local office, we will schedule an appointment for you by phone or in-person.
- We may need to schedule you for an appointment at a later date or call you back to provide the service you are requesting.
- The number of people a local office can help in person will depend on local health conditions and other factors.
You May Like: Disability For Crohn’s Disease
Grand Prairie Social Security Office
The Social Security Administration office in Grand Prairie, Texas, is open five days a week to help those who require some basic services related to Social Security cards, retirement, Medicare, or want to apply for Social Security Disability benefits.
The Grand Prairie Social Security office serves those in Dallas, Tarrant, and Ellis counties, as well as those in other nearby areas who find this office to be the most convenient. You do not have to live in Grand Prairie to utilize this office.
Contacting Social Security In Person
When Social Security offices are fully reopened, if you cant resolve your problem or find the information you need on the website or over the phone, you can go to one of the field offices . In some casesif you need to request a Social Security card or update certain kinds of personal informationyou may have to visit an office.
But be forewarned: It probably wont be fun. You can schedule an appointment, though it could take weeks or more than a month to get one. Just heading to the office is an option, but youll probably wait more than a couple of hours to be seen. Some offices report lines out the door.
Staffing is an issue. Due to budget cuts to the SSA, there are fewer workers for an increasing number of applicants. And dont expect them to take an in-depth look at your situation. SSA employees don’t have the training or expertise to help you maximize your benefits the way a financial planner can. If you don’t have a financial planner or other professional who can help you make the right claiming choices, there are Social Security calculators that can help. The SSA also offers a number of online tools.
Some Social Security experts advise visiting multiple field offices in order to ensure that youre getting the most out of your benefits. One worker may misinterpret the rules and deny you benefits or other privileges for which youre eligible, so seeking multiple benefit estimates can help you find the best dealkind of like shopping for a new car.
Recommended Reading: Lower Back Pain Va Disability Rating
How Can I Check My Social Security Benefits
The easiest way to check your benefits is by logging into your My Social Security account online through www.SSA.gov. Once you get logged into your account, you can view benefit statements, benefit estimates, earnings history, and the status of any pending applications. That site should be your go-to for any information related to your Social Security account.
Apply Over The Telephone
You can apply by calling the Social Security Administration at their toll-free number: 1-800-772-1213. If you are deaf or hard of hearing, you can call them at TTY 1-800-325-0778. Applying over the telephone can be frustrating as an automated system will answer and youll likely be put on hold before getting you in contact with someone. A Social Security worker will ask you the questions on the application and will submit it once they are finished.
Recommended Reading: New Jersey Disability Claim Status
Getting Your Application Ready
Get this information ready for your SSDI application:
- Names, addresses, and phone numbers of doctors, therapists, hospitals, clinics, and others who have treated you
- Prescriptions and results of medical tests
- Copies of medical records
- Your Social Security Number and the Social Security Numbers of your spouse and any children under the age of 18
- A certified copy of your birth certificate
- Proof of U.S. citizenship or of legal residency, if you were born outside the U.S., like naturalization papers, your U.S. passport, or your green card
- A certified copy of your military discharge papers , if you were in the military
- Tip: If you are a veteran, let Social Security know. Social Security may review your application faster.
How Do I Talk To A Real Person At The Social Security Office
To speak to a Social Security Representative either in person or on the phone, you can do any of the following:
- Go to your local Social Security office in person
- TTY 1-800-325-0778 8:00 a.m. â 7:00 p.m. local time
Medicare information is everywhere. What is hard is knowing which information to trust. Because eHealthâs Medicare related content is compliant with CMS regulations, you can rest assured youâre getting accurate information so you can make the right decisions for your coverage.Read more to learn about our Compliance Program.
Recommended Reading: Social Security Disability Earnings Limit 2022
You May Like: How Many 100 Percent Disabled Veterans Are There
Can I Schedule An Appointment With The Albuquerque Social Security Office
The Social Security Administration does not currently have online appointment scheduler.
The SSA website, SSA.gov, is the best way for most people to get help.
If you cannot use the website, or need more help, you can contact your local office phone number or national 800 number for help scheduling an appointment.
When visiting a local field office, appointment is not required. However, if you contact the office and schedule, it may reduce the time you spend waiting for help.
Read Also: Lookup Person By Social Security Number
What You Should Know Before You Visit
If you visit an office, please keep these very important points in mind:
- You must complete a to see if it is safe for you to enter an office.
- Everyone must wear a mask. We will provide a mask if you do not have one.
- Hand sanitizer is available.
- You may need to wait outside because space in our offices may be limited. Please plan for the weather.
- If you do not have an appointment, you should expect long lines, especially during the busiest times in our offices: Mondays, the morning after a Federal holiday, and the first week of the month.
Recommended Reading: Va Disability Back Pay Calculator
How To Apply Apply For Ssdi Or Ssi Benefits
Social Security Disability Lawyers
Retaining the services of a lawyer who specializes in Social Security Disability claims may be an option you want to consider. Many of these lawyers have the experience with the Social Security administration and know how to expedite the process. They can advise you on how to present your case. Also, there are a number of lawyers and law firms specializing in applying for Social Security Disability benefits. In these cases, a lawyer only gets a part of the back pay that may be owed you. If you have been disabled for a year and are approved for those payments, the lawyer will get a portion of the past due payments. The lawyers fee is set by the Social Security Administration.
Recommended Reading: Student Loan Forgiveness With Disability
Summary Of Benefit Programs:
Social Security Disability Insurance
This program requires a person with a disability to have worked for a substantial period in employment covered by Social Security. Beginning at age 18, a dependent, adult child of a worker who is retired, disabled or deceased, may be eligible for benefits if the child became permanently disabled before age 22. Benefits also may be paid to a widow or surviving divorced spouse. SSDI is funded through the Social Security Trust Fund.
Supplemental Security Income
This federally funded program is based on financial need – it is not necessary for persons with disabilities to have worked under Social Security. Basic medical criteria for eligibility are the same for both SSI and SSDI. Recipients of benefits under both programs also may be eligible for Medicaid or Medicare benefits.
Medicaid is a jointly funded, Federal-State health insurance program for low-income and needy people. It covers children, the aged, blind, and/or disabled and other people who are eligible to receive federally assisted income maintenance payments. A separate application for Medicaid must be filed through the Virginia Department of Social Services .
How To Contact The Ssa
People that do not want to apply for benefits online, or need to speak to the SSA for any other reason can also call the national toll-free number. Be advised that wait times are typically shorter later in the day and Wednesdays through Fridays.
Spanish speakers can receive assistance by calling the same toll-free number and informing the pre-recorded system or representative that they would like to talk to a representative in Spanish.
For those who cannot make a call during these times, recorded information and services are available 24 hours a day and on weekends.
Read Also: Va Disability Rate For Sleep Apnea
Medically Qualifying For Ssd In Texas
You will need to meet medical requirements to qualify for disability benefits. This means you will need to meet one of the SSAs Blue Book Listings. There are hundreds of qualifying conditions listed within the Blue Book.
Within each listing, you will find exactly how that condition qualifies. You will need to provide medical evidence that you qualify. This may be in the form of test results, doctors notes, x-rays and scans, prescriptions and more.
What Is The Social Security Disability Phone Number
If you have questions about your social security disability benefits, you need to contact Social Security at the social security disability phone number. You can find information on the government website though they do not publish the direct lines to their local offices.
To get information about your disability benefits, you can call 1-800-772-1213. It is a toll-free number that provides automated telephone services. From there, you can hear recorded information and also do some general requests. The line is open 24 hours a day. If you do not find what you need in the automated services, you can request to speak with a representative of the Social Security office. Their hours are between 7am and 7pm from Monday to Friday.
If youre wondering how long you should have to wait to talk to a representative, you should know that you will experience shorter waiting times if you call after Tuesday. For those who have hearing disabilities, there is a special line that you can call that is toll-free TTY. Call them at 1-800-325-0778 and someone will assist you in consideration to your special needs. The line is open from 7am to 7pm from Monday to Friday.
Also Check: Homes For Adults With Disabilities
Using Our Automated Telephone Services
Services for all beneficiaries
- Request a benefit verification letter
- Ask for a form SSA-1099, Social Security Benefit Statement, to request a replacement tax summary
Services for Medicare beneficiaries only
- Request a replacement Medicare Card
- Request a form SSA-1020 to apply for help with Medicare prescription drug costs
Services for people who have applied for benefits
- Ask to receive a claim status
Services everyone can use
- Find the address of your local Social Security office
- Request a form SS-5,Application for a Social Security Card, to:
- apply for an original Social Security card or a replacement card if yours was lost or stolen,
- request a name change on your card, or
- update or correct other information on your Social Security number record.
You can listen to informational messages on the following subjects:
- Payment delivery dates
- Best times to call our 800 number
- Social Security Internet address and services
- Supplemental Security Income
- Non-receipt of your Social Security benefit
- Representative payee
Services for Social Security Benefits Only
- Change address and/or phone number
How Do I Change The Name On My Social Security Card
There are a couple of ways you can perform a Social Security card name change. The easiest is by making the request online through your My Social Security account. Depending on the state you live in, you might be unable to complete the request online. If you cannot, then you will need to mail in the application for name change with the required documentation or visit your local Social Security office.
Also Check: What Type Of Disability Is Adhd
How Do I Make An Appointment With The Redding California Office
Even in situations where your local office is open normal hours, it is always better to schedule an appointment to help cut down on your wait time. You can call the Redding, California office at 866-964-1236 to schedule your appointment. When you make the call, they can also let you know what documents you need to bring to your appointment.
What To Know About Hearings
If you are thinking about appealing a decision, or you have an appeal pending, we want you to know you have options that could help you have your hearing sooner.
- We resumed offering some in-person hearings and we continue to offer hearings by online video and by phone. Online video hearings and telephone hearings are convenient, safe, and secure. .
- We continue to increase the number of in-person hearings. As our capacity grows, we will move to a more normal scheduling process.
You May Like: 100 Disabled Veteran Education Benefits
Contact A Professional Relations Officer
DDDs Professional Relations Officers serve as points of contact regarding Social Security disability programs in Ohio. They provide presentations to health professionals about how medical information is used to evaluate disabilities, recruit health professionals to become consultative examination providers, assist consultants in using SSAs Electronic Records Express , and much more.
DDD is actively seeking Ohio-licensed psychiatrists, clinical psychologists, and psychiatric nurse practitioners in Ohio to conduct independent psychological exams of Social Security disability claimants. Opportunities exist throughout Ohio with a significant need in Northwest Ohio. Please contact ANY of the Professional Relations Officers to learn more.
You May Like: Social Security Office Port Arthur Texas
Do I Have To Visit The Grand Prairie Ssa Office In Person
There are numerous other options for getting help with your Social Security Disability claim or other benefit programs that do not include visiting the office in Grand Prairie. In addition, there are many other local offices in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex.
There is also the Dallas Region SSA Field Office in Dallas, which oversees the local offices and also provides services. Alternatively, you may be able to get answers to your questions over the phone by calling the national hotline at 1-800-772-1213. This hotline is open weekdays from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. The SSA recommends calling later in the week and in the afternoon or early evening for the shortest wait times.
If you are comfortable with using the computer, you can apply for SSDI and SSI benefits from the comfort of your own home. These online applications allow you to provide the same information about your care providers, medical history, and other details as the claims completed in person in the Grand Prairie office.
our Social Security Disability Lawyers today
Also Check: Va Disability Rates By Condition
Information You Need To Apply
Before applying, be ready to provide information about yourself, your medical condition, and your work. We recommend you print and review the . It will help you gather the information you need to complete the application.
Information About You
- Your date and place of birth and Social Security number.
- The name, Social Security number, and date of birth or age of your current spouse and any former spouse. You should also know the dates and places of marriage and dates of divorce or death .
- Names and dates of birth of children not yet 18 years of age.
- Your bank or other and the account number.
Information About Your Medical Condition
- Name, address, and phone number of someone we can contact who knows about your medical conditions and can help with your application.
- Detailed information about your medical illnesses, injuries, or conditions:
- Names, addresses, phone numbers, patient ID numbers, and dates of treatment for all doctors, hospitals, and clinics.
- Names of medicines, the amount you are taking, and who prescribed them.
- Names and dates of medical tests you have had and who ordered them.
Information About Your Work:
- Award letters, pay stubs, settlement agreements, or other .
We accept photocopies of W-2 forms, self-employment tax returns, and medical documents, but we must see the originals of most other documents, such as your birth certificate.
Do not delay applying for benefits because you do not have all the documents. We will help you get them.