To Qualify For Medicare You Need To Get Disability Benefits From:
- Social Security
- Railroad Retirement Board
If you or your spouse worked for a railroad, call the Railroad Retirement Board at 1-877-772-5772.
If you live in Puerto Rico or outside the U.S.
Support Our Veterans And Other Specialty Louisiana License Plates
The Support our Veterans license plate is available for purchase for a one-time fee of $25 at all Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicle locations. Proceeds support the Military Family Assistance Fund. Other specialty license plates are also available, including the Purple Heart license plate and the Military Honors license plate for disabled veterans.
How to Apply
For more information and a complete listing of all specialty Louisiana license plates in support of Veterans and their families, please visit: www.expresslane.org or visit your local Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles.
‘apply As Early As Possible’
The first thing to realize about applying for Social Security disability benefits is that it is often a lengthy process, Geist said.
Once an initial application is filed with the Social Security Administration, it can take three months to five months to get a decision. If that initial application is denied, it can take four months to six months for the application to be reconsidered on a first appeal, Geist said.
From there, if the application has to be reviewed at a hearing, it can take up to 12 months just to get scheduled before a judge, Geist said.
“Apply as early as possible, because it is a long process,” Geist said.
A 2020 Government Accountability Office report found that about 1.3% of applicants filed for bankruptcy while waiting on their appeals, and 1.2% died before receiving a final decision.
“Many particularly those without legal representation end up wrongfully denied on multiple occasions before finally being approved with a lawyer’s help,” said Rebecca Vallas, senior fellow that the Century Foundation. “Untold numbers spend what savings they have to try to stay afloat while waiting for an appeal to be heard and countless more lose their homes in the process.”
There are about 8.2 million disabled workers collecting benefits, according to the Social Security Administration. Their average monthly benefit is $1,277.
Military Family Assistance Fund
The Military Family Assistance Fund can provide financial support to Louisiana Veterans and their families when they experience financial hardships. Certain criteria applies. In order to receive funds through MFA, a completed application must be submitted to LDVA including all required supporting documentation. MFA can pay up to $10,000.00 for one claim per active-duty order in a twelve month period.
MFA is funded by private donations from individuals and corporations. Visit our How to Help page to donate to the MFA fund.
To qualify for assistance from the MFA Fund, Veterans and activated military applicants must meet certain minimum active-duty service requirements, and have been honorably discharged. Immediate family members of eligible Veterans and activated military personnel may also qualify. Completed applications must include all supporting documents requested on the form.
How To Apply
Apply for MFA funds by clicking the button below. For more information, you may call toll free 1-877-432-8982.
Renewing Louisiana Plates & Placards
All handicap parking permits expire in Louisiana.
- Temporary placards: Valid for up to 1 year..
- Permanent placards: Valid for 4 years.
- Disability license plates: Valid for 2 years.
To renew a permanent disability placard, you must go in person to a LA OMV office with:
- Your current placard.
- Your Louisiana driver’s license or ID card.
- Payment for the $3 fee .
To renew a temporary disability placard, you must re-apply and submit a new medical certification. You can only re-apply once for a temporary placard.
To renew a handicap license plate, you must renew your vehicle registration.
Talk To A Social Security Disability Lawyer For Free Today
If you need additional information about social security disability requirements, turn to a professional. John Foy & Associates has been helping disabled individuals for over 20 years. We can help if youre struggling to get the benefits you need. Plus, we do not collect a fee unless we win you money.
Contact us today for a FREE, no-risk consultation. Give us a call or fill out our online form.
Call or text or complete a Free Case Evaluation form
Survivors And Dependents Education
Provides education and training opportunities to dependents of Veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition or who died while on active duty or as a result of a service-related condition. Eligibility requirements apply.
How to Apply
Visit your local VAC. Find your nearest LDVA Veterans Parish Service Office here.
Recommended Reading: Social Security Disability Review After Age 60
Who Can Qualify For Disability Benefits
Under the Social Security Act, those who can qualify for disability benefits are:
- Child disability
- Insured disabled workers under 65 years old
- Children that became disabled before 22 years old with deceased insured parents or those qualified for retirement benefits.
- Disabled widows or widowers between 50 to 60 years old with Social Security Insurance.
Is It Expensive To Hire A Lawyer
We understand that the thought of another expense may deter you from asking for help when you need it. If you have a disability that prevents you from working, you cant afford to pay upfront fees or hourly attorney rates. Rest assured that in most cases, you dont have to.
Lawyers will often offer free consultations and operate on a contingency basis. This means that if they cant recover benefits on your behalf, you dont owe your lawyer anything in return. You only pay if you get the benefits you need. Dont worry too much about how much it will cost. Hiring a lawyer is an investment you make to get the money you need.
Read Also: Short Term Disability In Nj
Apply For Benefits Online
You should apply for disability benefits as soon as you develop a disability. Follow these easy steps to apply online for disability:
- To start your application, go to our Apply for Benefits page, and read and agree to the Terms of Service. Click Next.
- On that page, review the Getting Ready section to make sure you have the information you need to apply.
- Select Start A New Application.
- We will ask a few questions about who is filling out the application.
- You will then sign in to your personal mySocial Security account, or you will be prompted to create one.
- Complete the application.
You can use the online application to apply for disability benefits if you:
- Are age 18 or older.
- Are not currently receiving benefits on your own Social Security record.
- Are unable to work because of a medical condition that is expected to last at least 12 months or result in death.
- Have not been denied for disability in the last 60 days.
Note: If your application was recently denied, our application is a starting point to request a review of the determination we made.
You may be able to file online for SSI at the same time that you file for SSDI benefits. Once you complete the online process described above, a Social Security representative will contact you if we need additional information.
What Services Are Available
Vocational rehabilitation services are delivered on the basis of an Individualized Plan for Employment that must be developed by both the professional Rehabilitation Counselor and the client. This IPE combines the Counselors professional expertise with the needs and choices of the client. It is developed after a thorough assessment and evaluation of the individuals rehabilitation potential. It is within the scope of federal regulations for LRS to provide the following services:
- Vocational guidance and career counseling
- Evaluation of rehabilitation potential
- Vocational and other training services
- Rehabilitation technology, including assistive technology services, assistive technology devices, and rehabilitation engineering
- Occupational tools and equipment
- Job Placement into suitable employment
- Maintenance to cover additional costs incurred during the period of vocational rehabilitation
- Personal Assistance services, such as personal care attendant, scribe, reader, and interpreter
- Transition from School to Work
- Randolph-Sheppard Business Enterprise
Read Also: Texas 100 Disabled Veteran Benefits
Basic Eligibility For Benefits
The SSA must see that you meet basic eligibility requirements before further reviewing your application for benefits. This basic eligibility includes having:
- A formal diagnosis of a potentially disabling condition
- A diagnosed condition that will disable you for 12 months of longer
After the SSA confirms that you meet basic eligibility, they will then move on to review your medical condition in detail and verify that you meet all program requirements for SSDI and/or SSI.
How Can I Find Out More About Ssdi
- Visit www.ssa.gov online choose disability
- Visit ssabest.benefits.gov to learn about Social Security benefits you might be eligible for including SSDI
- Go to your nearest Social Security office
You can find out how much you would get from SSDI by looking at your Social Security statement. The statement shows your work history and an estimate of what your benefits would be at this time. To get a Social Security statement:
- Request a statement online through Social Securitys website at www.ssa.gov. Click on My Social Security on the left side of the page.
Note that SSDI is different from SSI .
SSI is for people who didnt pay enough into Social Security during their working years, or who havent worked recently enough to qualify for SSDI. However, some people who were employed for short times or whose income was very low may qualify for both SSDI and SSI because their SSDI payment is so low. In that case, the SSI payment is reduced by the amount of SSDI the person gets. See more information on Supplemental Security Income .
Recommended Reading: How Much Social Security Disability Can I Get
What Questions Will Centauri Ask Me
Your Centauri Case Manager will need to ask you questions to find out if you are eligible. If you are, they will need more information to complete your SSI or SSDI application. Your Case Manager will need to ask you questions which may feel very personal. Centauri will keep confidential all personal and health information you give them.
Your Centauri Case Manager may ask about:
- Your medical conditions
- Things you own, such as vehicles, property and insurance policies
- Your citizenship or alien status
- Education or job training you may have received
- Your job history, if you have worked
- Your U.S. military service, if you were in the military
- Your husband or wifes income, if you are married and living together
If you receive a call from a number you do not recognize and want to make sure it is from Centauri before giving your information, just hang up and call their toll-free main number at 1-866-263-6608 , MondayThursday 7:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m., and Friday 7:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Or call Member Services at 1-866-595-8133 , and well be happy to transfer you.
*Centauri Health Solutions will never ask for your bank account number. Never give you bank account number to anyone over the phone.
How Do I Know Centauri Health Solutions Is Not A Scam
Unfortunately, there are scam companies who may say they want to help you apply for SSI. Or they may say they want to help you fix a problem with your Social Security Number. But they are really trying to steal your personal information.
Centauri Health Solutions is not a scam company.
Louisiana Healthcare Connections has chosen Centauri as a trusted partner who can help our members apply for SSI and SSDI. Centauri may call you if they think you may be eligible. They will keep all your personal information safe and confidential.
To verify if a call you received is from Centauri, just call them directly! Call toll-free 1-866-263-6608 , MondayThursday 7:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m., and Friday 7:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Or call Member Services at 1-866-595-8133 and well be happy to transfer you.
Centauri Health Solutions will never ask for your bank account number. Never give you bank account number to anyone over the phone.
Read Also: United Healthcare Short Term Disability
Discounts For Licenses And State Parks
Louisiana Veterans can enjoy discounts and fee waivers for hunting and fishing licenses as well as entrance to Louisiana state parks. Certain qualifications apply.
Beginning June 1, 2022For Non-Resident Disabled Veterans who have a permanent service-connected classification of 50% or more:
- LDVA will certify the application and email the completed application to LWF , where LDWF will certify and send the veteran his/her initial hunting/fishing license.
- Each year after that, the veteran may purchase that new years hunting/fishing license either online on your website or in person at any one of the retailers listed at your hunting or recreational fishing license listing on your website under
How to Apply
Visit your local VAC. Find your nearest LDVA Veterans Parish Service Office here.
Contact Social Security To Sign Up For Medicare
You can either:
Know when to sign up for Part BYou can only sign up for Part B at certain times. If you dont sign up for Part B when you turn 65, you might have to wait to sign up and pay a monthly late enrollment penalty. Find out when you can sign up. How much is the Part B late enrollment penalty?
Don’t Miss: Short Term Disability Vs Long Term Disability
Musculoskeletal System And Connective Tissue
This group made up 29.7% of all people receiving Social Security disability benefits. The musculoskeletal system includes bones, ligaments, cartilage, and other connective tissues. This system connects your bones and helps you maintain movements. No one can adequately sit, walk, or stand without the skeletal system.
Musculoskeletal system and connective tissue disorders include:
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Degenerative disc disease
Musculoskeletal system disorders can make it near-impossible to work. Many people are on SSDI for these conditions because of how much they impact everyday life.
to find a John Foy office near you
What Are The Top 10 Disabilities
According to the latest information published in 2018 by the United States Census Bureau, 27.2% of people had a disability in 2014. Around 17.6% had a severe disability. There are various conditions, and injuries can cause many disabilities.
While there are too many types of disabilities to list, we can provide the top 10 according to the Social Security Administration . Our experts examined the SSAs Annual Statistical Report on the Social Security Disability Insurance Program from 2018. Below are the largest groups of people with disabilities on Social Security Disability Insurance and Supplemental Security Income .
An occupational therapist helping an injured patient. Several different kinds of disabilities can qualify you for SSDI and SSI.
Don’t Miss: Housing For People On Disability
Louisiana State And Federal Civil Service
Louisiana state and city civil service departments award a five to ten-point preference in original appointment to Veterans who served honorably in the U.S. Armed Forces under certain circumstances. Federal law also grants five and ten-point preference to Veterans who meet certain criteria when they apply for federal jobs.
How to Apply
To see current state job openings, please visit: www.civilservice.la.gov or call toll free 1-866-783-5462.
For more information about Federal openings, please visit www.fedshirevets.gov or call 606-7304.
Document Your Physical Symptoms
Long haul Covid-19 may present a vague set of symptoms, not unlike other conditions such as fibromyalgia or chronic fatigue that have also been approved for Social Security disability benefits.
However, these types of conditions are more difficult to prove because they generally cannot be diagnosed with one medical test.
“Those aren’t going to be awarded as quickly, because you need to see those over a period of time,” Geist said. “You need a longitudinal history there, and those can be more difficult to document.”
The best way to establish a record of your symptoms is to share them with your doctor and to have them document what is going on.
For example, if you have migraines, how long do they last? What does your recovery process look like?
Keeping track of those details will help if your application has to be considered by a judge, Geist said.
Disabled Veteran License Plates
You are eligible for a disabled veteran license plate if you have a disability of at least 50% of your body resulting from your military service.
The license plate is free however, you may need to pay a transaction fee.
To apply for a disabled veteran license plate, you must submit the following in person at a Louisiana OMV office:
- A copy of your vehicle registration.
- An affidavit from Veterans Affairs that states you’re eligible for the plate.
- Payment for the transaction fee: Varies by location.
Information You Need To Apply
Before applying, be ready to provide information about yourself, your medical condition, and your work. We recommend you print and review the . It will help you gather the information you need to complete the application.
Information About You
- Your date and place of birth and Social Security number.
- The name, Social Security number, and date of birth or age of your current spouse and any former spouse. You should also know the dates and places of marriage and dates of divorce or death .
- Names and dates of birth of children not yet 18 years of age.
- Your bank or other and the account number.
Information About Your Medical Condition
- Name, address, and phone number of someone we can contact who knows about your medical conditions and can help with your application.
- Detailed information about your medical illnesses, injuries, or conditions:
- Names, addresses, phone numbers, patient ID numbers, and dates of treatment for all doctors, hospitals, and clinics.
- Names of medicines, the amount you are taking, and who prescribed them.
- Names and dates of medical tests you have had and who ordered them.
Information About Your Work:
- Award letters, pay stubs, settlement agreements, or other .
We accept photocopies of W-2 forms, self-employment tax returns, and medical documents, but we must see the originals of most other documents, such as your birth certificate.
Do not delay applying for benefits because you do not have all the documents. We will help you get them.
You May Like: Americans With Disabilities Act Amendments Act